Nothing is better on a cold, freezing day than a steaming bowl of soup. And not just any soup, but seafood soup. Loaded with fish, shrimp, lobster, clams, and mussels, seafood soup and stews are delicious and incredibly versatile. The best part is that you can prepare them in about 20 minutes.
Whether you’re looking for a new lunch idea to keep you warm on a cold day, want an elegant starter to kick-start your meals, or want to explore global flavors, here are the best seafood soup and stews to try practically any occasion.
Lobster Bisque is a classic entrée of French origin. It contains one of the great kitchen cheats of all time: a classy creamy yet smooth, highly seasoned soup made from fresh lobster meat. But you can also use the same recipe with shrimps, crabs, or crayfish. The key here is building flavors from crustaceans by simmering with aromatics to create an intensely flavored stock, which is strained out, simmered, and pureed.
How to Make Lobster Bisque
- Start by boiling the lobster tails (shell and meat) in salted water for about 5 minutes until the shells turn bright red. Remove the lobster and let it cool. Make sure you reserve the steaming liquid.
- Once it has cooled, twist off the claws and tails (including knuckles) from the lobster. Place the tail on a hard surface, press down, and crack the shell with your hands, then push out the meat. Slice the meat and refrigerate. Coarsely chop the meat into bite-sized pieces and reserve, along with all the lobster remains.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, vegetables, and garlic and cook until softened. Slowly add wine, if using any, and cook for a minute. Add the crushed lobster shells and remains, then sauté for about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, followed by the lobster stock. Simmer for about 10 minutes; add butter and cream, let it melt, then remove from the stove.
- In a blender, puree the batches until it becomes smooth. Strain the broth through a medium-mesh sieve to extrude as much liquid as possible. Still in the sherry and cream, season to taste with pepper and salt, then gently simmer. Add the lobster meat and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Serve the bisque in a bowl and top with reserved lobster meat and chives.
DownEast Clam Chowder
To ensure your DownEast Clam Chowder comes out perfect, use clams you may have dug yourself after dropping anchor in a secluded bay. Or order fresh clams from us at Klenda Seafood!
How to Make DownEast Clam Chowder
- Pour clams into a large saucepan or pot and add a cup of water. Cover it up, boil, and cook until the shells open. Let it cool, shuck the clams, and put them aside. Pour off the broth and preserve.
- In a saucepan, fry the pork over medium heat until crispy. Add onion and butter, and cook until tender.
- Add the clams with their juices, and bring them to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently until the clams are tender.
- Add potatoes and stir gently to combine. Then add the clam broth and pour enough water to cover the potatoes. Let them simmer until tender and thick.
- Pour the milk and let it simmer. Stir in clams and soup. Then add butter lat. Simmer for a couple of minutes until the butter is fully melted. Add seasoning – salt and pepper and stir until it combines.
- Serve in a bowl and sprinkle the crumbled bacon and parsley. Enjoy!
Maine Seafood Stew
Maine lobster stew is a brothy, creamy soup than a thick stew. In a flavorful broth, it contains lobster meat, vegetables, and other seafood types like mussels, scallops, and clams. That said, there are some secrets to making it a delicious-tasting soup:
- Make the steam a day ahead and refrigerate it
- Use the lobster shells to make a flavorful lobster stock
- Add some tomalley (a green paste found inside a cooked lobster)
Steps for Seafood Stew
- Melt about two tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, sauté, and stir until it becomes soft.
- Add the lobster meat or seafood and toss until coated with butter.
- Add the lobster stock, sherry, salt, black pepper, potatoes, and cayenne. Bring the mixture to a simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the paprika and cream, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chives.
- Ladle the stew into bowls, add seasoning, and serve with fresh crusty bread or oyster crackers.
Fresh Maine Seafood Right at Your Doorstep for Your Soup and Stew Needs
Freshly sourced seafood not only tastes better, but it also makes warm, rich, and delicious soups and stews. You can enjoy fresh Maine seafood delivered right to your door regardless of location.
Order Maine lobster and other delicious seafood from Klenda Seafood, fresh and delivered directly to your door! We also offer curbside pick-up at our South Portland location if you live locally – call for details and to place your order over the phone. Contact us— we would be happy to answer any of your questions.