One of the most common questions is, “How do you cook steamers?” Maine steamers, or steamer clams, represent quintessential Maine, and cooking them, is straightforward (as Mainers, we wouldn’t have it any other way!).
How to Cook Maine Steamer Clams
- Add an inch of cold water (or your favorite beer or white wine) into a tall, large pot. If you have a steamer rack, place it at the bottom of the pot and carefully lay and stack the clams on the steamer rack.
- No steamer rack? Just put the clams in the pot with the water.
- Cover up the pot and bring the water to a boil. Turn the heat down a little and let the clams steam away for about 10 minutes or until the steamer clamshells are wide open.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the clams cool for a few minutes before handling.
- If any of the steamers did not open, they should be discarded.
If you want to learn more about Maine steamer clams, when they are in season, how to clean them, and where to buy them online, we’ve compiled some quick links to help you get started.
Maine Steamer Clams 101
Whether you’re down east at a cottage or ‘uptah’ camp, Maine steamer clams are a traditional summertime favorite for family affairs and cookouts. Knowing how to clean steamers for such gatherings is essential and takes a few simple steps. Steamers are relatively inexpensive and easy to prepare compared to other kinds of seafood. In no time, you, your family, and friends can enjoy the sweet and salty flavor of one of Maine’s most tasty seafood dishes. Read more!
Hard Shell Clams, Soft Shell Clams, and How to Shuck a Clam
Maine clams are an exceptionally healthy food prized in the kitchen for their versatility—they can be fried, baked, steamed, stuffed, eaten raw on the half shell, turned into chowders, soups, and stews, or prepared wherever a recipe takes you. It’s no wonder. Maine clams are a whole nutritional food lean in protein, rich in minerals like iron, zinc, calcium, selenium, potassium, vitamins C, B12, and A, and are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Read more!
Maine Steamers, Raw Oysters, and Domestic Sea Scallops
Our shellfish selection is all procured right here along the coastline of Maine from our farmers, fishermen, and diggers. Our buyers have perfected locating and sourcing the best Maine offers. From scallops, mussels, steamer clams, and various of the finest Maine oysters. Robust flavors and consistency you can trust, time and time again.
Order FRESH live lobsters or fresh-picked meat online for delivery directly to your door. We also offer curbside pick-up at our South Portland location if you live locally – call for details and to place your order over the phone! Feel free to contact us— we would be happy to answer any of your questions.